6 Easy Steps for Finding the Perfect Creative Business Name
Want to find the perfect name for your creative business but don't know where to start? With these 6 tips, you will find a business name in no time.
This page includes affiliate links. When you buy something using these links, a small commission at no extra cost to you may be received. Crafty Starts does not take any money for reviews.
When starting any online business, naming your business is a big decision, but for creative businesses it can be even more difficult.
You know what you want your business to stand for, and you've got a unique idea for its name, but finding the right name may prove more difficult than you realized because you are looking for a unique, and of course, creative name for your shop.
The key to choosing a good business name is to understand what you need from your name that's going to make your creative business succeed. If you've got unique business name ideas, then you can find the perfect brand name that will stand out.
So, how do you find that perfect company name for your online business? Here are the 6 steps to finding your creative business name:
1) Give Yourself Plenty of Time When Choosing a Creative Business Names
Finding the best business name for your new business is extremely important. Your brand name is often the first impression people will have of your company, so you want to make sure you find the best name for your new company.
Rushing your decision could cost you a great deal of money, especially if you pick the first business or shop name that comes to mind. If you later change your mind, you will waste significant time and money recreating your logo, business cards, letterhead, domain name, and other promotional materials that contain your company name.
Also, if you are rushing the decision, this will show in your products, services, or website, as well as your company branding. When you put the work into creating a unique company name, your future clients will see the connection between your business and the name, making it memorable, which was the original purpose of creating a name in the first place.
While you should not rush when searching for a name, you need to spend your time working efficiently so you find the best business name that you want, without delaying the opening of your creative business.
2) Brainstorming to Generate Ideas
Before deciding on a catchy business name, you should brainstorm a list of different name ideas that are relevant and make sense for your small business. Your main goal is to come up with as many names as possible for your creative business.
Consider the following factors to help generate the best business names for your new company:
- Your business topic or industry
- Your business's mission or purpose
- Your company’s product or service
- Your niche
- Your goals and vision for the business
- Your target audience
- Your personality and brand
- Competitor’s names
There are several resources available to help you find a business name suggestions. This is a quick and easy step that can yield great results. Some places where you might want to check for help in creating a business name are:
By preforming a simple search using your general keywords, you may be able to come up with a new business name. By typing your keywords into the Google search bar, you may be able to find other keywords that you can use in your name.
Competitor Websites and Blog Post
If you have not already researched your competition, this is the time to do so. After searching for keywords, use those keywords to find your competitors by using Google search engine, or other search engines, like Pinterest.
By researching your competitor, you will not only ensure you do not use a name that is already in use, but you may find inspiration in order to find a unique company name. What are your competitors doing right? Could they have a better name?
Inspiration Boards (Pinterest)
Browsing Pinterest can be a useful tool to see what is popular when it comes to your product or service. Not only can you find business names, but you may find inspiration for your logos, color palettes, and fonts.
When researching your competition, you will also want to look for those competitors that may not have a website, but use marketplaces, such as Etsy.
For example, if your competitor’s Etsy shop, you may find inspiration that will generate new ideas, as well as ensuring that you do not mistakenly use the shop name. While you are there, look at some of the products they are selling. You may find search terms that may give you inspiration for your name.
Free Business Name Generator Websites
There are several free business name generators on the internet that will suggest business names. A powerful business name generator can help you transform your brainstormed keywords into a full list of creative business name ideas.
Free Domain Name Generators
Just because you are searching for a creative business name does not mean that you cannot search for a domain name at the same time to determine domain availability.
Using a domain name generator can help. It is always preferable to have your business name match your domain name.
Although this may not be possible, it is important to ensure that there is a correlation between your small business name and your domain name.
Free Logo Generator Websites
Sometimes seeing a logo can not only generate ideas, but it can put the ideas you may have in perspective.
For example, you may realize that your name must be a certain length, or you prefer specific letters because they create a great logo.
Family and Friends
Your friends and family might not know what a good business name is, but they may be able suggest company names that can spark your imagination.
Don't discount their suggestions for your new shop, no matter how silly or ridiculous they might seem. Keep an open mind and write the ideas down no matter how crazy they might seem.
Don't Give Up!
Remember that every great business idea starts with a single thought or spark of inspiration. Your brainstorming session will help you expound on that initial concept and come up with fresh, new options for naming your company.
Make the most out of the brainstorming process by letting your mind go because you never really know what you'll end up with during the brainstorming session.
Don't censor yourself or hold back when searching for the best business name - the wilder the better!
3) Get Creative to Flush Out New Ideas
Your initial research and brainstorming should have generated a list of unique names, but before you decide on the perfect business name, it's time to get creative.
The best way to generate a new name for your online business is to put yourself in the shoes of your prospective customers and think about what type of business name would stand out to them.
Catchy business names are much more memorable because they are unique in nature. Some places where you might find an idea for a new company name are:
- Dictionary, thesaurus, and other word-related books – Unfortunately, the most common keywords are likely taken by your competitors. As a result, it becomes difficult to come up with new words or phrases. By using a dictionary and thesaurus together, you never know what you may create.
- Random words – are there words that inspire you? If so, maybe you can use them in your business name.
- Look outside the box for ideas that aren't related to business or industry-related words.
4) Do Your Research to Ensure Name Availability
Once you have a list of possible business names, it is time to start narrowing your list of ideas down. To ensure you have a unique and catchy business name, you need to do your research.
Know What You Want in Your Company Name
A good business name is simple, easy to spell, and relevant to your industry. Be sure to avoid:
- Business names that are difficult to pronounce
- Business names that have multiple words mashed together as they can be confusing.
- Goofy or unprofessional sounding company names.
- Generic, clichéd, confusing, or even trendy business names. Let's say you're a brand-new coffee shop. If your goal is to provide a family-friendly atmosphere, go for something warm and welcoming, like "Coffee & Crafts" or "Crack of Dawn" rather than something hip and trendy, like "Buzzworthy" or "Cup This!".
Business Name Availability
To narrow your business name list even further, you need to check to see if your potential company names are available. If someone else already has the business name you are seeking, you will not be able to use it.
Here are some places you will want to check to find available names for a business:
- Secretary of State – if you are planning to incorporate, you will need to check and see if your name is available in your state. If your name is available, be sure to reserve the name, if your state allows it.
- Fictitious Business Name – if you have a fictitious name, you will need to determine if it is available through your county or city.
- Double check that your name is not too similar to an already-established business name.
- Marketplace – if you are planning on doing business on a marketplace, make sure your shop name is available and it will not get confused with other shop owners.
Test Your Name
To narrow your list even further, it is important that you confirm that the name will resonate with your customers.
Test your chosen business names for relevance and memorability. For example, if you're a food delivery service, try something simple and easy to remember, like "Lunchbox" or "Dinner Delivered".
Say Your Name Out Loud
Once you have a list of potential names, read them out loud and see how they sound. At minimum, you will want to ensure your customers can pronounce, and spell your company name. They should also feel comfortable saying the name out loud.
Before settling on a business or shop name, ask yourself:
- Is my business name unique?
- Does my business name reflect who I am?
- Do I have a business name and will it help me stand out?
- Does my shop name clearly describe what I am selling or offering?
- Will my new business name help me attract more customers?
- Do you have a catchy, clever company name?
- Will my business name be easy to search online?
If you want to be taken seriously, don’t choose a name that makes people ask questions. Instead, make sure your new name is simple, memorable, and reflect the true spirit of your creative business.
5) Consider Your Business Brand
When choosing a company business name for your creative business, it is important that your company name match your brand identity. If your name and brand do not match, your customers may feel confused and may be unwilling to do business with you.
A company brand is about creating an identity that embodies not just your company, but your mission and personality too. Think of a business name that will stick with you customers and make an impression long after they've heard it the first time.
Your company name should also be meaningful and project your company’s values. Choose a name that your customers can relate to and one that will give them the impression of what your business is about.
For example, consider the two names below. Neither of these is good for a business because they do not match their respective brands.
- "Cactus Furniture." Because this name does not match the brand image of a furniture store, customers may be confused. If they were expecting a furniture store to have the name "Cactus," they would most likely not frequent Cactus Furniture.
- "Office Shoes." This name does not match the brand image of an office supply store because shoes are not office supplies. If customers were asked to get business cards for Office Shoes, they would most likely not understand the name. Customers might go into an office supply store, but they are unlikely to purchase supplies if they are looking for shoes.
Your company brand is the image you want your business to convey to your target audience. Your company should reflect the care and thought you put into it, so scratch off any potential name that do not accurately reflect your brand.
6) Make a Decision
Once you have a list of business name ideas, you'll want to narrow your list to two or three favorites that you think are the best. It might take some time to find the perfect business or shop name that you really want, so do not feel like you are wasting time on this last step.
Before you decide on a business name, you should have a good understanding of what your business is about and how you can stand out from your competitors.
While making your decision, you may want to consider:
- A unique or uncommon company name provides a memorable image.
- A business name can tell your audience what you do in a fun or interesting way.
- If you company is in an industry with many competitors, use a business name that sets you apart.
- A business name must also look good for your logo design, stationary, website...etc.
- An online company name must be easy to find online and on social media.
If possible, try out your name with your target market. Ask them what they think of the name, if it sounds well-constructed, if it is memorable, and if incorporates your branding message.
Just remember to have them keep an open mind and do not be discouraged if they do not immediately love your name.
7) Get Started Finding Your Perfect Name
Now that you know the six steps to finding your business name, it's time to get started finding the perfect name for your creative business!
This is a process that can take some time, but it's worth it in the end. Just remember that there are many ways to name a business; the important thing is to choose the method that works best for you.
Once you make the final decision on naming your new creative business, just go with it! You'll be glad you took the time to find the perfect business name for your company.
Now that you have the perfect name, find out how to choose the best color palettes, as well as the perfect font for your online business. If you are interested in learning more about how to start and succeed in a niche creative business, sign up for our free newsletter. We will send you helpful tips and advice to help you get started.